The Devil in Kiton (a/k/a my husband) has a saying “his desert isle ___” – his desert isle beer, his desert isle scotch, his desert isle gin (we will just ignore that these are all references to various alcoholic beverages at the moment, but that is when he is most likely to use the phrase). So the theory is, if you were stranded on a desert isle and could just have one type/brand of beer, scotch, or one thing, what would it be?
So, I give you my desert isle top ten. The top ten things I would want with me (other than people, animals – again the focus here is on things) if I were stranded on a desert isle. This list may change a bit over time with new finds, but here are some of my desert isle/cannot live without things:
- Crème de la Mer Moisturizing Cream (the original formula) – If there is a better moisturizing cream on the planet, I have yet to find it. Crème La Mer is so rich and thick, it is like wearing a moisturizing mask at all times. I have used it since it came out commercially (15 years plus) when one could only get it at Saks or Bergdorf Goodman in New York. It is so thick that it does take some getting used to, but I just think it is the best out there and has seriously helped my skin fight the aging process. Desert isle inclusion indeed. You can find it here.
- Vaseline Petroleum Jelly/Kiehl’s Eucalyptus Balm – A must when I am not wearing lipstick. The Devil in Kiton calls it my crack cocaine. Either this or lipstick must be on my lips at all times. Even if I get up in the middle of the night to let the dog out or go to the bathroom, always put some more on before crawling back in the bed. I have containers of this strategically placed in different areas of my house so I can get to it at all times. In the winter, I switch to Kiehl’s Eucalyptus Balm for the healing properties for my winter chapped lips. You can find it here.
- Puligny Montrachet White Burgundy Wine – So I do live with The Devil In Kiton, and as previously noted, he does like his adult beverages, so here is mine. It could almost be any maker, as I have not had a bad bottle of this yet. My mouth is watering now as I write about it.
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull Bag – My Louis Vuitton Neverfull goes with me everywhere, can carry massive amounts of stuff and has proven itself to be indestructible. Literally, a friend of ours (accidently) ran over it, not once but twice, with his SUV and it only sustained one small nick. Unbelievable. I carry on my luggage everywhere I go (how I do this will be the subject of other posts) and the ability of this bag to carry my computer, purse, gadgets, etc., to allow me to meet the two bag maximum is awesome. I have the largest one, but you can use the side straps to narrow it and use as a purse, beach bag etc. at your destination as needed. You can find it here.
- Amazon Kindle – I love to read, and I really love to read while sitting by the water on beach vacations. The kindle allows me to read in the sun, and gives me more space in my Neverfull for other things. I used to carry 5 books on a week long vacation. Now: just my kindle. A must for biding my time on the desert isle. I have the basic one with the cover that has a small light built in, so I can continue to read at night while The Devil In Kiton sleeps. Find your favorite at www.amazon.com.
- Pucci Swimsuits and Cover-Ups – There is no substitute for Pucci swimsuits, hats and cover-ups. My favorite on the beach and for running around the desert isle. Shop here.
- Saucony running shoes – I am a long time runner and take my running shoes with me wherever I go. No better way to see a city than in your running shoes getting some exercise. Saucony running shoes are my favorite because they are sturdy, but also have some spring to them. Plus, I need to get some exercise to be able to continue to fit into the Pucci bikinis on the desert isle. Find your best fit here.
- Cartier watch – I have two, and either one would do. I have the Tank Francaise and the Ballon Bleu. Love them. Can’t wear them swimming around the desert isle, but other than that, they are the perfect accessory in the boardroom or away. Find yours at Cartier.
- Johnson’s Baby Oil – I slather this on right before I step out of the shower. It helps seal in moisture and really works. They have travel size bottles and I take a bottle with me wherever I go. Just try it a few times before you get out of the shower. You will be addicted.
- iPhone/iPad /Mini/Lenovo Notebook – Gotta have one of these with me at all times to connect me to my world. Loving my new iPhone 6. I hope the desert isle has wifi.
What would you have to bring to your desert isle?
Photograph taken at Curtain Bluff, Antigua (a beautiful resort on a beautiful isle)